Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Power of Suggestion

I receive an email everyday from the LA Times that is a Campaign Briefing. It gives me the major news stories from their paper and a brief, 2 line synopsis. The synopsis for this article brought a question to mind immediately. It read "McCain intensifies his attack on Obama's past and character, and Obama returns the favor. The tactics may not resonate with voters in a time of crisis." While I don't think this is anything radical or unexpected, it had me asking, what impact does the media suggesting that this strategy won't resonate with voters have on how voters receive the article? I think it immediately plants a seed in teh readers mind adn sets up an expectation. While this may be of small consequence in this particular case, I think it happens often.

1 comment:

KC said...

I think this happens a lot when the media talks about the debate, especially beforehand. They tell you, the viewer, what you are expecting and whether it will affect your opinion.