Monday, October 27, 2008

McCain as Nostradamus

This McCain ad is clearly looking to the future. With the state of the country and the economy today that is a huge concern for voters. I don't think there is much effectiveness in the way this ad looks to the future. It feels like a series of predictions, something you might see in a sci-fi movie rather than a presidential election ad. I feel like the voice is straight out of Star Wars. I know that these ads are limited on time, 30-60 seconds doesn't allow you to have much detail about how you plan to make these predictions a reality, but give me some substance.Otherwise I feel like I'm being fed what I want to hear, the typical promises from a politician that can't be fulfilled.



Here is a look at the future from Obama's campaign. I can't say that he gives a whole lot more substance than McCain, but the ad has a totally different effect. He includes the American people as participating in the prosperity of the future. The voice is soothing and confident. He uses the "hands" theme that ties the ad together and links the pride of history to the future. There is a call for collective responsibility to work towards a better future, as opposed to McCain doing it all himself.

No comments: