Saturday, November 1, 2008

Arizona up for grabs?

I don't know if a presidential nominee has ever lost his home state, and I don't think John McCain wants to be the first. It was embarassing enough when Bush almost lost Florida where his brother was Governor. The story can be found in several places (including Arizona papers), as far as I can tell the Huffington Post was early to raise the question. I was surprised to see the headline at first and as I kept reading, I couldn't help but think about our discussions on how polls fuel stories and are stories themselves. This is certainly one of those instances as people speculate about what changed the stakes. Whatever it was, both candidates are certainly throwing some last minute money into AZ.

1 comment:

Mike said...

With McCain thin on money, it was smart of Obama to throw some increased attention to AZ, forcing McCain to spend money he doesn't have and didn't expect to spend in his home state.