Monday, November 17, 2008

Barack Obama lifts '60 Minutes' rating to best since 1999

The above headline of an LA Times blog caught my eye because it mentions nothing of the content or substance of the interview, it merely addresses the impact Obama's presence on 60 minutes had on the show. not on Americans, but on the ratings. Now we can assume that because so many Americans watched that it was an impressive and important interview that kept their attention and gave them reason to watch.

The actual story in the LA Times took a different perspective, one I would expect to see reporting on the interview. I have to admit I was not one of the millions who tuned in to watch the interview on CBS, but I was somehow comforted by Obama's admission that he is feeling a little overwhelmed and confesses "there are times, during the course of a given a day, where you think, 'Where do I start?' " That has abeen a question in my mind since the election, trying to imagine someone in his postition with such daunting tasks ahead. That display of humanity somehow makes me trust him more than if he were to deny any anxiety.

No comments: