Wednesday, September 24, 2008

"Tripping from link to link to link"

I liked the quote and title of this post in Carr's article. It caught my attention because I think there is truth in the analogy. When we are surfing the web and going from link to link, we are at the mercy of where these links take us. Most of us begin surfing with some intention or ultimate goal, but it is a trial and error process. We don't know exactly where we are going to land next. I I think this process could be compared to searching the old fashioned card catalog at a library. You have limited indicators about what you'll find, so you follow it until it is no longer useful to you. The number of links and ease of following them is certainly quite different than chasing books in a library. I think it is important to consider the history the Carr outlines and consider what other technologies have influenced our way of thinking and our lifestyles.

No comments: